Friday, March 9, 2012

My Mini-Vacation in Alabama - Part Deux

Wednesday
Got the morning call from my buddy Shaun at the dealership. The parts supply truck out of Jacksonville comes every Mon-Fri without fail.

Except today. Don't know why, but Shaun suspects a breakdown.

Weezie has her own queen bed, and with her regular food in the truck, she's living off the Shoney's buffet next door. She is doing much better than I am. I am bored, my back hurts, I can't get any real work done. Late today my new best friend Shaun calls to say the loaner car had turned up and I can use it. I jump in it. It's a Chevy Cruize. This is not a bad little car. I enjoyed driving it. My sentences are getting shorter. After 48 hours at I65 exit 211, I do what all good Southerners do for a break from TV and go to Wallmart. A bag of carrots! Diet Coke sweetened with Splenda! Some more Tums and Excedrin! Sweet Home Alabama!

Thursday
My wise and exalted mentor and friend Shaun did not call ... at 10:55 (5 minutes before checkout time) I swallow pride and call him. He was going down his list of people to notify that parts have arrived - and would you believe, I was next on the list! My truck is "in the air"! Yahoo! Weezie and I celebrate by driving to a nearby lake and taking a long walk.Then we go and check out the new Love's truck stop for a while. There really is a LOT to do here, if you have wheels! And only a few more hours to kill! 3:30pm Central Time we have the trailer hitched up, fuel at Love's, and are on the road.

Thursday Night Special
Heading back to Tallahassee, I realize I am on the route Rod takes from Nashville to Donalsonville, GA, and it will be supper time when I pass through. We meet and catch up over Chalupas and Tecate at Old Mexico Inn in D'ville. I get a quick tour of his establishment. Then Weezie & I head out for TLH. Home about 10:00pm.

The Oath
(Hand on Knuth, vol 1): I will never, ever, travel by truck again without my laptop, so help me Donald.

Chris Lacher

No comments:

Post a Comment